Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Florida, Fifth grade, and Mombacho!

I am really a terrible blogger.  I think about it frequently but often put it off!  Oh well...here I am now and I've done a lot since my last post.

1. I traveled to Florida to see my family and for a break in between my two placements.  It was really relaxing and I had a lot of time with my dad to travel around Florida.  I got to go back to Jacksonville, which is like a third home to me!  And I after living there all summer I got to go to St. Augustine.  Which was an awesome colonial town.
After a few days with my dad the rest of the fam fam got there, just in time for my baby sister's national cheerleading competition.  They got second!!!!  Which is such a sweet accomplishment and I am so so proud of her!  Here are some pictures from that week!
The Fort at St. Augustine

It was also BIKE WEEK in Daytona...these are our new friends...The Phat Bastards.  My Father talks to everyone!

Dad and I at the Fort
*Photo credit: Phat Bastards founder :) 

Beautiful!

On the road to St. Augustine

The Oldest School House in the USA

Heather had an interesting idea that rice crispy treats made a good breakfast...."It's cereal!"

Iowa All Stars Fusion!  My sis is the 6th from the left in the back row

So proud of you JoJo!

We were bored waiting for our food

Impossible to take a good sister pic
2. I started 5th grade!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!  It is really fun and even though it's like a job in itself to get my students to stop talking, I love the 5th grade level of intelligent conversation.  It's so amazing and I love hearing there thinking.  I have 3 science classes everyday and then Language Arts.  We are reading The City of Ember.  If you like young adult books I would totally recommend it...I read it in one night and am waiting for the next one to be returned to the library.
In science we are doing ecosystems and using a FOSS kit that I used in 5th grade, which is totally fun because the kids think it's cool I did the same experiments as them.  We currently planted terrariums and the kids are really learning a lot...it's fun to see them collaborate and have to rely on each other.  Sorry no pictures from 5th grade yet.

3. This weekend we climbed a volcano.  This was probably the most physically taxing thing I've ever done in my life.  We climbed mombacho from the base to the top!  Most people take a military like vehicle up most of the way and then hike around the top...not us!  I didn't ever think it be so steep!  We saw people from Seattle there and they asked us where we were from.  We told them and they're like "Really!  We hike all the time and we would never dream of doing this!"  Yeah it was nuts and my muscles kept telling me it was a bad idea.   Getting to the top was so rewarding though...knowing I had conquered the volcano! There was a lot of praying going on in that last half hour (it took 2 hours to climb).  Here are some pictures that highlight the best parts of the climb:
The Volcano Mombacho from Granada...where we started the day at Kathy's Waffle House :)

These Howler Monkeys we saw on our hike up.  They were peeing as I was trying to walk under the tree...so I waited and then RAN REALLY FAST!

The one flat part in the road...it was AWESOME!

A Model of the volcano Mombacho

View from the top...looking over the crater at Granada and Lake Nicaragua

This is the crater

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures, Laura. What an amazing experience to have under your belt. I think you will be an amazing teacher. I remember learning about about the ecosystem and using the FOSS kit in fifth grade. :)

    ReplyDelete